Now You See Him, Now You Don’t

Astute viewers of WDAZ News @5 will notice something different about the broadcast tonight.  For the first time in the better part of two decades, I won’t be on it.  Instead, my buddy Robin Huebner will be anchoring the newscast from Fargo.   What you won’t see on News @5 from now on is Stacie Van Dyke, Pat Sweeney or me.

The decision was not made by anyone in Grand Forks.  Certainly, not by me.

We created News @5 (from scratch) shortly after the 1997 flood, nearly seventeen years ago, and we’ve had an insanely devoted following ever since.  For that, our sincere thank you.

We’ve focused on local, regional and community news and we’ve had a lot of fun along the way as well. We put a lot of energy into the broadcast in those seventeen years including a little bit of our heart and soul.

One thing this will do is free up more of my time, which I fully intend to use in creating even more mayhem at work than I do now.  Stay tuned.

A long-time broadcaster said it best to me years ago.   He said television will break your heart.  Every time.

7 Responses to Now You See Him, Now You Don’t

1. Chuck says:

I’m so sorry to see this happen Terry. I value to local content of the “5″ and will miss the home team. I’ve been a fan of Robin, still am, but I need my local news fix. See you at 6, my friend.

2. Rita says:

What a joke.

The broadcast at 5 is my favorite one and normally the only one I get the chance to watch.

Big Mistake

3. Carol says:

This really angers me. I’m already fed up with the weekend news which averages one GF story per broadcast, now this. Anyone we can send protests to?

4. Nancy Yoshida says:

Terry
    I am very sorry and shocked that the powers to be have decided we in Grand Forks do not count any more with the change to our 5:00 News. Needless to say I will no longer be tuning in at the 5pm time as the news now has nothing to do with where I live.
    I hope you can feel me hugging you for all you have done for this community.
    Nancy Y

5. gordy says:

I’m very disappointed. Always liked the local news that channel 8 gave us in new minn. Especially the local sports. Hard to lose all that experience

6. Lori Conroy says:

Terry,
    I was disappointed to read this news today. I always enjoyed spots on News at Five and appreciated the local content and the emphasis on the arts. It was always fun to do a quirky liveshot for you! I’m sure I’m not alone when I say I will miss you but I know you are a class act and I for one cannot wait to see the mayhem!
    Regards,
    Lori (Cowan) Conroy

7. Faye says:

Terry, I’m a little disorientated today after tuning in at 5 o’clock yesterday and you weren’t there! I guess WDAZ has freed up my time, too! It was my pleasure to watch you all these years.