Neil Diamond

From Alerus Center:

Legendary
performer Neil Diamond will take to the
Alerus Center stage November 22,
2008
at 8:00.

With a four-decade long career that
has seen more than 125 million records sold worldwide, 36 Top
40 hits, a Grammy, a Golden Globe and thousands of sold-out shows all
over the globe, Neil Diamond remains one of the most vital and innovative
forces in modern music. The 2008 summer tour will deliver a familiar
yet unique fan experience featuring amazing production, innovative stage
design and, of course, an unparalleled set list of Diamonds most
beloved hits. In addition to classics such as Sweet Caroline,
Im a Believer, and Cherry, Cherry, Diamond will perform
new, never before performed live songs from his upcoming, highly anticipated
album, Home Before Dark, his second collaboration with renowned
producer Rick Rubin, to be released by Columbia Records on May 6th.

Diamonds prolific
body of work includes You Don’t Bring Me Flowers (the powerful
duet with Barbra Streisand), I Am, I Said and Cracklin Rosie,
as well as hits from his album and movie The Jazz Singer
(America, Love on the Rocks) and from his acclaimed 2005
album 12 Songs. The album marked his first project with
Rubin, which entered the Billboard
Top 200 at No. 4  marking Diamonds highest-charting debut to date
 and offered a stripped-down, emotionally honest and passionately
compelling approach that continues on Home Before Dark.

Like all great Neil
Diamond albums, Home Before Dark is a powerful work, crossing
generational lines with an extraordinary range and level of songcraft.
Imbued with the same style of inspired melodies that has made his music
so enduring, the albums highlights include the stunning lead single
Pretty Amazing Grace and a striking duet with the Dixie Chicks
Natalie Maines entitled Another Day (That Time Forgot).
The new collection was written by Diamond and recorded in Los Angeles
with guitarist Mike Campbell, keyboardist Benmont Tench (Tom Petty &
The Heartbreakers), bassist/acoustic guitarist Smokey Hormel and guitarist
Matt Sweeney. The album will also be available as a deluxe version that
includes two bonus tracks and a DVD with rare footage of Diamond in
the studio.

Tickets: $122, $87, $55

Tickets on Sale October 6th
at 10:00am and are available at the Alerus Center Box Office,
charge by phone at 701.772.5151 or online at
www.ticketmaster.com.

7 Responses to Neil Diamond

1. Far Side of Fifty says:

He is a real Showman, I enjoyed his concert in Fargo about ten years ago. I was excited to see he was coming to GF, then I read he will be performing new songs..well since I only want to hear the stuff I can sing along with..I will not be attending:)

Far Side… Stay home if you want to, but I can’t image a showman as accomplished as Neil Diamond would not perform the songs you can sing along with as well as tunes we’ll all be singing along with in the future.

3. Anon says:

A little over 20 years ago I was working at a venue and Neil Diamond came in for 2 nights. This was at the height of his comeback stage and before the tribute hysteria that has helped his career as of late. We had all heard the rumors about backstage requirements for “His Majesty”. Sure enough, it was true. We were all made aware of some of his “requirements”. I kinda shrugged it off. Then, it happened. Mr. Diamond exited his dressing room and began his walk to the stage. Like good little soldiers, we all turned our backs as instructed and faced the walls of the concourse until he passed. Was it bizarre? Ah, yeah.

The shows were actually fantastic. Middle aged women were fainting in their seats. I knew this happened in the Beatles era but never witnessed it myself. Not long after that I was working at a much smaller venue and Roy Orbison had the same effect on some attendees.

Terry, if Mr. Diamond comes in for a segment on The 5 O’clock News, please perform the interview while facing the back wall.

The Alerus should consider “Super Diamond” for one of their future Plan B shows. Not my cup of tea but they do draw a big crowd.

4. Avatar of Terry Dullum Terry Dullum says:

Anon. Thanks for your comment. Backstage stuff is fascinating. Generally, I’ve had good luck covering (admittedly) mostly B-list celebrities and lower. Maybe they behave better when there is a television crew hanging around.

5. How Much? says:

Tickets seem awfully expensive. I’d be interested in going if they were more reasonable. Will they find enough people to pay $122 (more like $140 with fees)?

6. Brenda Gjelsness says:

Neil Diamond is an all time favorite of mine. Not sure if this is the right sight to win tickets, but if it is, my question to Neil would be: I’m sure you’ve seen a lot of different things through out the country. What would YOU like to know about Grand Forks, and it’s residents?

7. Luella Otterson says:

Question for Neil:
    When and where did you have your very first concert, and was it a hit?