The Ventures

Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees*
Class of 2008

*Along with the Dave Clark Five, Madonna, Leonard Cohen, John Mellencamp, Gamble & Huff and Little Walter

9 Responses to The Ventures

1. greenglass4 says:

The Ventures were the best. Remember them playing at the Maple Lake Pavillion in the 60′s. greenglass4

greenglass… Sort of sad to say, but yes, I do.

3. Anon says:

Do you dudes remember who else was on the bill that night? I know a lot of the shows back then were packages with several acts.

I can almost hear Duane Sanden’s radio spot now….
    “Run don’t walk to The Maple Lake Pavillion…..”

4. Avatar of Terry Dullum Terry Dullum says:

Anon… I don’t remember. It may be necessary to bring Sanden in on this.

5. Anon says:

I understand Terry, it was the 60′s.

Anon… Yes, It was the 60′s, but it was the early 60′s. North Dakota native Bobby Vee recorded a pretty good album with his Liberty Records “label mates” called “Bobby Vee Meets the Ventures.” I still have it on vinyl somewhere.

7. greenglass4 says:

Good news ! Would like to hear/copy the music with Bobby Vee and The Ventures. Bobby Vee came to our cabin on Maple Lake after the dance, my cousin was a”guard” for Bobby Vee. I am sure many remember the parties in the buses and lake cabins. Peggy March would not come out of the bus, she was somewhat terrified of all the guys drinking beer ! Every Sunday night was a blast !greenglass4.

8. wanderer says:

Ahh, the Ventures. Not the original instrumental band, but probably the most recognized. I bought alot of their stuff on LP’s, 8tracks, 45′s, and cassettes. Sold it all.
    Paul Johnson of “The Belairs”, claims to be the originator of the instrumental “surf” music of the very early 60′s, with their hit, “Mr. Moto”.
    Find their history at http://www.pjmoto.com
    What ever happened to instrumental rock? Alot of bands used to cut at least one instrumental song. Don’t hear it much anymore. I still have an old 45 of “Groovy Grubworm”, by Harlow Wilcox and the Oakies.
    Instrumentals were alot of fun, and I miss them.

9. Avatar of Terry Dullum Terry Dullum says:

wanderer… You’re right. Many early “vocal” bands would include an instrument on an album. It was for “filler,” I suppose. On their latest CD, Jukebox, which is a a recreation of the tunes they heard on radio stations like CKY in Winnipeg, Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings include an instrumental, for old time sake, I guess.