Among the things I saw on vacation last week:
* Gasoline selling for a good fifteen cents a gallon less in Bemidji than in Grand Forks.
* Some people totally unable to break away from their laptops, even in Minnesota’s beautiful lake country, even for a little while. On one of the most beautiful nights of the summer at one of the state’s nicest lake resorts, while his wife and kids were having a great time in front of their fire pit, we watched a guy glued to his BlackBerry for over a half hour, checking his e-mail.
* The biggest group of loons I’ve ever seen at one time swimming together. I lost count after forty.
What I didn’t see on vacation last week:
* The movie "Knocked Up." The air-conditioning in the Carmike 10 theater showing the film was out. A two and a half hour comedy–even a great one–in 80 degree heat didn’t seem like a good idea Saturday night.
* Any Paris Hilton coverage.