Purple Rain

Prince put on his usual excellent show during the Superbowl’s halftime yesterday, despite a Miami rain.  Two questions:  How do the musicians keep from getting electrocuted?  And, how do Prince’s twin dancers perform in high heels in the rain, and not fall on their–ah–faces?

6 Responses to Purple Rain

1. great8 says:

Prince is one of the most overrated musicians playing right now……sorry, but his show was very predictable

2. Alicia says:

I was trying to figure out how they managed to stay upright as well. I figure they must have some kind of grippers on the soles of their shoes. There’s no way one could dance in that much rain in those boots.

3. mattfacingsouth says:

Prince’s guitar and microphone were both wireless. The little 9-volt battery in the transmitter can’t even shock a fly.

As far as the band – it seems that most live-audio engineers (myself included) are of the consensus that they were not playing and the “band” you heard was a backing track. The drummer was playing along with the track, but wasn’t in the live-feed at all, which was the reason for the drum delay you heard by way of Prince’s microphone (distance from drummer and direct real-time backing track = delay sound). The keyboards would have been ruined, powered or not – my guess is that they had plastic over them and were not even plugged in.

I liked the show.

mattfacingsouth… Please tell me the twin dancers were real.

5. Patrick says:

“great8,” you are sadly mistaken. Listen to Purple Rain, just listen.

6. Patrick says:

Sorry, you are sadly mistaken. Prince is one of these figures the media likes to prop up on a pedestal. Unfortunately, when people like myself criticize these types of artists and people, I’m accused not being smart or not knowing what good music and entertainment really is.